Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Moral of The Story..

My position paper is based on short story entitle A Great Injustice by Heah Chwee Sian. Basically, the story is about Ah Nya, the main character had getting pregnant out of wedlock. In the end of the story, she did an abortion.

I believed that she did the abortion because of the cruel treatments and society’s pressure that she got from the society. As a result, based on the situation, I came out with a thesis statement. My thesis statement is the cruel treatments and all society’s pressures are the reason for Ah Nya’s abortion. The cruel treatments that she received are not in term of physically but rather on emotions and mental.

Actually, what I want to highlight here is after I examined the story based on my thesis statement, I learnt something from my stand. Our behavior usually is controlled and decided by us, but that is not the always the case. As we saw in Ah Nya’s action in this story, she actually made the abortion because she felt pressures the way people around her treat her. Her action was greatly influenced by the views of her society. She forced to abort the baby although she knew that it is wrong to do that. It is not always easy to refuse such thing; Ah Nya had to make the abortion. By analyzing the pro’s and contras she made the decision, basing it on knowledge and commonsense, actually is not a bad thing. Maybe, if the baby growing up in such society, the child will be shun from the society.

In this short story, made me think that our decision and choices are based on what we think as much as what others think. It is not always your choice and it is not always what you want to do. Some actions people do are subconsciously inputted by society. I believe that society pressures everybody all the time, this is unavoidable and even necessary still, I believe that society must only provide advices instead of provoking and causing actions.

No comments: